CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween Censorship?

Your Never Gonna Believe This....
It was brought to my attention that one of my friends John (J.D.) Diego is being harassed by locals in his hometown because of his Halloween decor.
.....
My reaction to this is REALLY? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
.....
But someone is serious.
GiGi Bibeault, one of the neighbors found his display so offensive that she called the chief of police office hoping to file a hate crime complaint. Bibeault said she called because of one of the props in J.D.'s yard. The prop is of a Nun with a gas mask on holding crucifix in one hand and holding onto the spine of a skeleton with the other hand.
.....
"That's offensive to me" said Bibeault.
.....
Officials have responded by sending a city inspector to J.D's home to inspect the Halloween decorations to see if there are any health, safety or zone violations. The inspector found no violations.
.....
On the other hand there are neighbors like Caroline Nelson who's children 6-4 and 2yrs old are big fans and go by every night to see the display.
.....
"They can't wait to see J.D.'s Halloween house. You see the same sort of thing when you go into a Halloween store. They certainly are not scared by it and they do not have nightmares about it. It's over the top, there's no question, but its fun."
.....
I have to agree with Caroline. That is what its all about, fun! I wish I lived in J.D.'s neighborhood. I would love to go by and admire his work, and take my daughter along as well. I know I love to decorate my apt at Halloween. Right now on my front patio I have purple lights, masks, creepy looking pumpkins, witches brooms and hats, a pitchfork and numerous other things and people are coming by to admire it. I have lots of children in my neighborhood and not one parent has said it was "too scary". No one has complained at all!!! Believe me in my apt complex if someone had complained I would have heard about it. We all get to dress up on Halloween in whatever we choose, why all the controversy about how J.D. has dressed up his house? It's ludicrous, it's absurd, and just down right stupid in my opinion to create such an outcry of how someone decorates for Halloween!!!
.....
J.D.'s reaction to all of this is that he loves Halloween and when he got his house he wanted to do something for the kids.
.....
He says "A lot of the props are from movies that I found scary when I was kid and I just wanted to give them a platform. I didn't invent the holiday, its all in fun, I'm doing this for the kids."
.....
What is this world coming to? Don't these people complaining have anything better to complain about? Apparently not. What a life, with the economy being the way it is, and the only thing they have to complain about is a Halloween display down the street? Geeeezzzzeeee
If only my life were so complicated.....?!?!?!?!

1 comment:

beth said...

It's crazy what people spend their time worrying about. Halloween is meant to be celebrated and decorated!